Saturday, March 12, 2005

week 11 - Jesus and Contentment

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:25-27

Check out the transformation journal this week.

1 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger SonHarvest Kids said...

As soon as I read the words from Matthew 6:25-34, I was reminded of the message Nancy gave last August - The Devotional Diet. This message really connected with me - a control freak. As God continually tries to remind me that I am not in control, I find the need to repeat this mantra when I start feeling like I can "handle" things on my own – I am not in control. The more I believe this, the more contentment I feel.

When I asked Nancy's permission to post her message online, she replied with some more words of wisdom that she has found helpful from her discipleship triad.

"Denying yourself may involve denying things, but this is not what Jesus is getting at. Neither does it mean denying your self-worth. Denying yourself does not mean denying your feelings. And although some would say if you are enjoying following Jesus, something must be wrong, in truth, it is not about denying your happiness. Finally denying yourself does not mean deny your brains.

To deny yourself means to deny your self-lordship. It means saying no to the god who is me, to reject the demands of the god who is me, to refuse to obey the claims of the god who is me. A decisive no--'I do not know Lord Me--I do not bow down to him or her anymore.' Jesus calls us to say no to ourselves so we can say yes to him."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home